Thursday, July 22, 2010

" I left Chelsea to sign for the biggest club in England "

UNFORTUNATELY FOR JOE .......... MANCHESTER UNITED WEREN'T INTERESTED - [Perhaps he meant ' The biggest club in Liverpool ']

The England midfielder officially signed his four-year deal - worth £80,000 a week - after leaving Chelsea this summer.

The new Liverpool No 10 said: 'I could have stayed at Chelsea because the fans loved me and I won things, but I wanted to challenge myself [Europa League ?] and when I knew Liverpool were interested it was a no-brainer because they are the biggest club in the country [ never to have won the premiership ].
'I set myself a deadline to make a decision and when I made it I sent a text to Christian Purslow and Steven Gerrard and then turned my phone off.

I know I have made the right decision and I am looking forward to the challenge. This is a huge challenge for me [try hanging on to your alloys in Liverpool Joe] . I have played in London all my life.'

'This is a massive club. I tried to take everything out of the equation, take the financial and location side out and just thought in football terms.

'I thought about the semi-final of the Champions League in 2005 when I ran on to the field and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I was thinking about playing in that atmosphere every week [sorry Joe .... you have to play some games away from home] and that swung it for me.

'You talk to Liverpool players and talk about the European nights. I experienced it as an opponent and it was immense. To go out there and play in that atmosphere every week [maybe he won't be travelling with the team when they play away] will be phenomenal.'

' I know I'll have to take a few weeks to understand the accents. I don't know how the Spaniards have coped with it. I have always enjoyed good banter with them.

A FEW OF LAST SEASONS STATS

Gareth Bale [Spurs] : 5 apps. 2 goals.
David Bentley [Spurs] : 12 apps. 2 goals.
Cesc Fàbregas [Arsenal] : 27 apps. 15 goals.
Aaron Ramsey [Arsenal] : 18 apps. 3 goals.
Mikel Arteta [Everton] : 13 apps. 6 goals.
Tim Cahill [Everton] : 33 apps. 8 goals.
Florent Malouda [Chelsea] : 26 apps. 12 goals.
James Milner [Aston Villa] : 36 apps. 7 goals.

These are all players who play in Joe's position

Joe Cole : 14 starts , 2 goals , 5 assists .......... doesn't stand out , does it ?

Or to put it another way ...... Michael Essien scored 4 goals last season and only played half a season due to injury ....... sorry Joe , but I think we can live without you.



NICE OF HIS MISSUS [CARLY] TO PACK JOE'S BED FOR HIM.

No comments: