Friday, January 7, 2011

ROY KEANE SACKED BY IPSWICH TOWN

RTÉ understands that Roy Keane's tenure as Ipswich Town manager has come to an end after a torrid twenty months in charge of the Championship side.

News of his dismissal was reportedly delivered to the former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland captain by chief executive Simon Clegg after a meeting with ambitious owner Marcus Evans.

The Tractor Boys battled relegation for much of last season and currently languish in 19th place in English football's second tier, just three points above the relegation zone.

The beleaguered Suffolk club now face a daunting trip to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea in the third round of the FA Cup on Sunday.

Things arguably get even more arduous for Ipswich next week, when Arsenal visit Portman Road on Wednesday for the first leg of the semi-finals of the Carling Cup.

Keane appeared to be bracing himself for the worst in the wake of Saturday's 1-0 home defeat by Nottingham Forest, saying: 'I'm doing my best and if my best isn't good enough, then I'll take the consequences.

'I don't expect you (the media) to be giving me phone calls if I do lose my job. It's the nature of the game.

'Even managers who win football matches lose their job, let alone managers who don't.'

No comments: