Friday, July 20, 2012

Shooting Deaths Reported At Midnight Film

Up to twelve people are confirmed dead after a man opened fire and hurled a tear gas bomb during a midnight Dark Knight Rises film premiere near Denver, Colorado.

Witnesses say the man was wearing a "Bane-style" gas mask and body armour during the attack and a bomb squad are reportedly searching for a further explosive device in an adjacent car park.

Justin Joseph, of Fox affiliate KDVR said the tear gas caused "mass panic" and that as people got up and tried to flee, they became "moving targets" as the man opened fire.

Several children were in the theatre and an 80-year-old is believed to have been shot dead at point blank range.


The screening was taking place at the Century 16 Theatre in Aurora and the trailers for the film had just ended when the attack began.

Brenda Stuart of 850 KOA Radio told Sky News that the audience initially: "Thought the gunshots were part of the movie."

Paul Otermat saw the attack unfold, and told Sky News he saw a man in a black jacket and cap walk to the middle of the screen.

He said: "I thought it was a publicity stunt at first. Then he threw tear gas at the crowd and started firing shots."

Police officers from all local jurisdictions are at the scene, as are FBI agents, prompting fears the incident is related to a terrorist attack.

One suspect is in custody and there is a manhunt underway for a second, various media reports. There is speculation there may have been two attacks, with the second taking place in an adjacent screening room.

Nicole Williams, at the nearby Swedish Medical Centre told 9News the hospital was notified of a "mass casualty incident" at 1.15am.

Up to 40 people are feared injured and surrounding streets have been cordoned off.

.............................................................................................................................................

" I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we dont know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.

I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift.

After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.
I feel like I am overreacting about what I experienced. But I cant help but be thankful for whatever caused me to make the choices that I made that day. My mind keeps replaying what I saw over in my head. I hope the victims make a full recovery. I wish I could shake this odd feeling from my chest. The feeling thats reminding me how blessed I am. The same feeling that made me leave the Eaton Center. The feeling that may have potentially saved my life. "

JESSICA REDFIELD WAS SHOT AND KILLED LAST NIGHT AT A MIDNIGHT SCREENING OF THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, ALONG WITH 11 OTHERS WHEN A GUNMAN OPENED FIRE IN A THEATER. THE ABOVE IS FROM HER BLOG, WRITTEN IN JUNE, AFTER SHE NARROWLY ESCAPED ANOTHER SENSELESS SHOOTING AT A MALL IN TORONTO. (VIA NEWSWEEK)

No comments: