Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Why Australian hurdler Michelle Jenneke is meme of the moment

Australian hurdler Michelle Jenneke missed the cut to compete at the Olympics but she is an Internet superstar, thanks to her pre-race dance.

At least four videos of the 19-year-old’s loose-limbed warm-up wiggle have hit more than 2 million views online in a few days.



Described by Athletics Australia as “one of the most bubbly athletes on the Australian Youth Olympics Team on a normal day,” Jenneke is all smiles as she bounces, dances and shimmies at the starting line for the 100-metre hurdle race at the IAAF Barcelona Junior World Championships on July 15.

“I don’t focus too much before I run,” Jenneke, known as Shelly, said in an Australian Olympics video last year during a youth competition in Singapore.

“I like to stay as relaxed as I can.”

And relaxed she is as she wins her heat, still smiling and apparently barely winded.

“I’m so excited, I’m almost speechless, I’m so happy,” she said after the race, Athletics Australia reported. “I felt great warming up.”

Looked great, too, said Australia media, where even the staid The Australian crowned her “a girl with all the moves.”

Jenneke finished fifth in the finals, however, and so missed the cut for the London Games starting Friday.

No comments: