Monday, February 8, 2010

Sikh judge Sir Mota Singh criticises banning of Kirpan

Sikhs should be allowed to wear their ceremonial daggers - known as Kirpans - to school and other public places, Britain's first Asian judge has said.
There have been a number of cases of Sikhs being refused entry to venues because they wear the Kirpan or other religious artefacts.
Sir Mota Singh QC, who is retired, has criticised schools over the issue.
"Not allowing someone who is baptised to wear a Kirpan is not ," Sir Mota told BBC Asian Network.

'No objection'

Last year, a Sikh police officer, who had been told to remove his turban during riot training, won a discrimination case against Greater Manchester Police.
A schoolboy was also banned from wearing his Kirpan at the Compton School in Barnet, north London.

The kirpan is one of five 'articles of faith' Sikhs must carry
And, in 2008, 14-year-old Sarika Singh won a High Court case against her school after it excluded her for breaking its "no jewellery" rule for wearing a Kara (steel bangle), which is another symbol of Sikh faith.
The school was found guilty of indirect discrimination under race relations and equality laws.
"I see no objection to a young Sikh girl or boy, who's been baptised, being allowed to wear their Kirpan if that's what they want to do," said Sir Mota, who received a knighthood in the 2010 New Year Honours list.
"I wear my Kirpan and I've always worn it for the last 35 to 40 years, even when I was sitting in court or visiting public buildings, including Buckingham Palace."
Sir Mota, who is now retired, added: "I think these are issues that can be dealt with with a certain amount of sensitivity.
"The girl not allowed to wear the Kara is a petty thing for the administrators to have done and it doesn't do them any good.

"It is the right of every young girl and boy to be educated at the school of their choice. For him or her to be refused admission on that sort of ground, as far as I'm concerned, is quite wrong.
"It ought not to happen but it does. I think it's wrong to be discriminated against for that reason."
The Compton School offered the boy the option of wearing a smaller knife, welded into a metal sheath, but his parents refused and withdrew him - an action by the family that Sir Mota said he supported.
He later told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "But on the other hand, I am also conscious of the health and safety position.
"I accept that, because I think as one realises the increase in crimes of violence involving the use of knives and other offensive weapons, I can see that.
"But there has been no reported case, certainly none that I know of, of a Sikh using a knife in order to cause injury."






I am always in favour of religious freedom and as
viking myself ... I think that all religious weaponry should be allowed to be
worn in public as a right and doesn't necessarily indicate any intimidatory intent ,
fact is ... I dont get alot of aggro and I've never even had to use any of the Axes
or Swords that I habitually carry on a daily basis .

No comments: