Saturday, July 16, 2011

WHY I LIKE PATTY HEWES

While I'm not a writer / journalist / critic, I do of course have views and opinions on this and that, and every so often I do like to express them. Damages is one of my favorite television series and one of the reasons why is Patty Hewes.

Patty (Glenn Close) is a ruthless and brilliant lawyer, she has sacrificed everything to get to the top and in so doing has become an empty shell of a person. She demands perfection from all her employees and has no compunction about firing anyone for the tiniest error or perceived slight. She has lost her husband, her son and a daughter to her principals and yet continues down the same path, unable to compromise even though it is costing her everything.


On the other side of the coin is Patty's brilliance as a lawyer, she will leave no stone unturned, no law unbent and no principle unchallenged when batting for her clients corner. Her cases are her children, she will fight tooth and nail for every last one of them.

Somewhere deep inside Patty is the woman she wants to be, she see's Ellen (Rose Byrne) as a mix of her younger self and the daughter she lost through her own fault. The only living person who brings out any real feelings in Patty is Ellen, her one time protege and now sometimes friend, if someone like Patty could have a friend.

This show brings us some great characters every season, flawed wonderful characters, the kind you find in real life .... we see the bad guy being a great father, we see the good guys doing things they shouldn't .... wonderful ... the lines are blurred ... but if my life savings were on the line, and I needed a lawyer to protect my interest, there would be only one firm that I would like to take my case ...... HEWES & ASSOCIATES.

No comments: