Sunday, December 4, 2011

Effin Problem of the Day

A woman from the Irish village of Effin ran into some trouble when she tried to list it as her place of residence on Facebook. Apparently, Facebook thinks it’s a euphemism for a word you might find at the end of a dirty limerick.

“I was born and raised in Effin and my family come from here,” Ann Marie Kennedy told BBC News. “It’s a great little parish. I’d just like to put down (on Facebook), because I’m from Effin, and so would so many Effin people around the world, that they’re from Effin. But Facebook won’t let it because they think it’s obscene or offensive.”


She has since started a Facebook petition to convince the social networking site to recognize her hometown.

Reached for comment, Facebook claimed the word had not been banned, but the village was simply too small to be featured as an option. Approximately 1,000 people live in the parish.

Ms. Kennedy, meanwhile, vows to soldier on. “I’m a proud Effin woman,” she says, “and I always will be an Effin woman.” A-effin-men.

No comments: